Do you want to help advocate for the full equality of women and men in the home, church, and world? Then CBE invites you to enter our SEVENTH annual writing contest! This is one way that we give women and men of all cultures, races, and classes an opportunity to share their stories and insights on how women’s biblical equality intersects with everyday life.
Entries will be accepted from July 27 – September 15. Winners and honorable mentions will be announced on October 19.
What Could I Win?
Each author whose article is chosen as a Top 5 winner will be published with CBE, either in the Mutuality blog or magazine. Top 5 winners will also receive a $50 gift card, a copy of Tell Her Story, and a year-long print subscription to CBE’s award-winning magazine, Mutuality.
Plus, 15 Honorable Mentions will win a copy of Tell Her Story and will be considered for publication in the Mutuality blog.
Winning and honorable mention articles may also be submitted as entries in the Higher Goals contest by EPA.
All writing contest entries will be considered for publication by CBE. So even if your piece is not selected as a winner or honorable mention, we may still want to publish it! Please note that by submitting your piece, you agree to have your article considered by CBE editors for publication in the future.
What Should I Write About?
At its core, your writing contest entry should align with CBE’s Statement of Faith and Core Values and engage with CBE’s mission to promote the full equality of women and men as co-leaders in the home, church, and world. From there, the specific topic and angle of your writing contest entry are up to you! There is no part of our lives that is not affected by our egalitarian theology. From biblical literacy to activism, church history to current events, purity culture to parenting, sharing work as women and men in the home, church, or the world, Mutuality covers it all.
That said, a contest-winning article will inspire, inform, prepare, and mobilize Christians to intentionally advocate for women’s biblical equality. It will move beyond theory and academic scholarship to provide real-life, everyday engagement with egalitarian theology. This could take the form of practical tips, biblical insights, or personal stories and testimonies.
Need inspiration? Try reading articles that have won in previous years’ writing contests.
- 2022 Writing Contest Winners and Honorable Mentions
- 2021 Writing Contest Winners and Honorable Mentions
- 2020 Writing Contest Winners and Honorable Mentions
- 2019 Writing Contest Winners
- 2018 Writing Contest Winners and Honorable Mentions
- 2017 Writing Contest Winners
How Do I Enter the 2023 CBE Writing Contest?
To enter, please email your writing contest entry to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 15, 2023.
- Attach your entry as a Microsoft Word document, single-spaced.
- Include your full name, an author biography (fifty words or fewer), a two- to three-sentence article description, and a high-quality headshot.
- Provide the total word count of your submission (not including the title). Your entry must be between 700 and 1,500 words.
- Title your entry document using this format: LastName_2023-WC-Entry.
All entries must honor CBE’s core values and the CBE mission: CBE exists to promote the biblical message that God calls women and men of all cultures, races, and classes to share authority equally in service and leadership in the home, church, and world. CBE’s mission is to eliminate the power imbalance between men and women resulting from theological patriarchy.
- All writing contest entries must be original content not yet published elsewhere, unless you host a personal blog that has a small audience. (You must indicate if this is the case.)
- Late entries will not be accepted for the contest but may still be considered for publication.
- All entries should have correct spelling and grammar and include a link or Chicago notes-style citation for any outside sources. Because Mutuality is a popular, non-academic publication, please avoid academic jargon and minimize the number of citations where possible.
- You may submit more than one entry for consideration. CBE may publish multiple entries from the same author, but no more than one entry per author will be recognized as a winner or honorable mention.
- You agree to participate in the editing process with CBE’s editorial team. Changes made or requested by the editorial team will be sent to you, the author, for comment and approval before publication. Titles may be changed.
Please Help Us Share!
We would love you to tell others about the 2023 CBE Writing Contest! Feel free to use the graphic below or contact email@example.com for more information.