Are you passionate about advocating for the full equality of women and men in the home, church, and world? Then CBE invites you to enter our sixth annual writing contest! We strive to give women and men of all cultures, races, and classes a platform to share their stories and insights about how biblical gender equality, egalitarian theology, and Christian feminism intersect with everyday life.
Entries accepted July 28 – September 15. Winners and honorable mentions announced October 6.
What Could I Win?
Each author whose article is chosen as a Top 5 winner will be published with CBE, either in the Mutuality blog or magazine. Top 5 winners will also receive a $50 gift card, a copy of On Purpose: Understanding God’s Freedom for Women Through Scripture by Julie Zine Coleman, and a year-long print subscription to CBE’s award-winning magazine, Mutuality.
Plus, 15 Honorable Mentions will be published with CBE, either in the Mutuality blog or magazine, and win a copy of On Purpose: Understanding God’s Freedom for Women Through Scripture by Julie Zine Coleman.
Winning and honorable mention articles may also be submitted as entries in the Higher Goals contest by EPA.
All writing contest entries will be considered for publication by CBE. So even if your piece is not selected as a winner or honorable mention, we may still want to get it out there! By submitting your piece, you agree to have your article considered by CBE editors for publication in the future.
What Should I Write About?
There is no part of our lives that is not affected by our egalitarian theology! From biblical literacy to activism, church history to current events, purity culture to parenting, Mutuality blog and magazine covers it all.
A writing contest-winning article will inform, prepare, and mobilize Christians to intentionally advocate for women’s equality. It will move beyond theory and academic scholarship to provide real-life, everyday engagement with egalitarian theology. This could take the form of personal narrative, practical tips, and/or biblical reflections.
At its core, your writing contest entry should align and engage with CBE’s mission to promote the full equality of women and men as co-leaders in the church, home, and world, and align with CBE’s Statement of Faith and Core Values. From there, the specific topic and angle of your writing contest entry are up to you!
Need inspiration? Try reading articles that have won in previous years’ writing contests.
- 2021 Writing Contest winners and honorable mentions
- 2020 Writing Contest winners and honorable mentions
- 2019 Writing Contest winners
- 2018 Writing Contest winners and honorable mentions
- 2017 Writing Contest winners
How Do I Enter the 2022 CBE Writing Contest?
To enter the 2022 CBE Writing Contest, please email your writing contest entry to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 15, 2022.
- Attach your entry as a Microsoft Word document, single-spaced.
- Include your full name, an author biography (fifty words or fewer), a two- to three-sentence article description, and a high-quality headshot.
- Provide the total word count of your submission (not including title). Your entry must be between 700–1,500 words.
- Title your entry document using this format: LastName_2022-WC-Entry.
All entries must honor CBE’s core values and the CBE mission:
CBE exists to promote the biblical message that God calls women and men of all cultures, races, and classes to share authority equally in service and leadership in the home, church, and world. CBE’s mission is to eliminate the power imbalance between men and women resulting from theological patriarchy.
- All writing contest entries must be original content not yet published elsewhere, unless you host a personal blog that has a small audience. You must indicate if this is the case.
- Late entries will not be accepted for the contest but may still be considered for publication.
- All entries should have correct spelling and grammar and include a link or Chicago notes-style citation for any outside sources. Because Mutuality is a popular, non-academic publication, please minimize the number of citations and even try to include them in-text (as links).
- You may submit more than one entry for consideration. CBE may publish multiple entries from the same author, but no more than one entry per author will be recognized as a winner or honorable mention.
- You agree to participate in the editing process as CBE’s editorial team requests. Changes made or requested by the editorial team will be sent to you, the author, for comment and approval. Titles may be changed.
Review the Mutuality writer’s guidelines for more information. Send questions about the contest to email@example.com.
Please Help Us Share!
If you want to tell others about the 2022 CBE Writing Contest, feel free to use the graphic below or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.