Welcome to CBE’s interactive directory of egalitarian ministries, which includes churches, schools, chapters, counselors, and other organizations.
The map below includes member ministries and user-submitted ministries.
Member organizations have agreed to CBE’s Statement of Faith and Core Values.
CBE does not endorse or vouch for the theology of user-submitted ministries. These are simply ministries that have been recommended as egalitarian.
As we work to update our interactive directory, you may also want to check out the original versions of our Counselor and Spiritual Director directories.
We are always working to expand and update our directory, but we need your help. If your church, school, or ministry is egalitarian, let us know so we can add it to our directory.
Using the Directory
There are several types of ministries, each indicated by a unique icon, which is either teal or gray. Teal icons below indicate CBE member ministries. Gray indicates user submissions.
You can select or unselect each type of ministry. To do so, click the icon on the top left of the map to expand the Layers menu. The Layers menu also includes a full map key.
Nothing in your Area?
Consider searching the web for churches and reviewing their statements of faith. Check to see if they have women on their teaching or leadership team. Contact the church to ask a few questions. You might want to ask:
- Are there women on the elder board or the decision-making board that determines church policy?
- Do they have women on staff? If so, in what positions?
- Do they have a woman as pastor? Have they ever had a woman as pastor?
- Do women preach often?
- Does the church have an official position on authority in the home and church?
- Do they (or have they) taught classes on gender in the last five years? If so, what books do/did they use?
- What Bible translation do they use in their pews?
- Is the church familiar with the ministry of CBE?
- Provide the church with a copy of CBE’s statement “Men, Women, and Biblical Equality” for their consideration. This document has been adopted by numerous churches around the world.
Consider visiting the websites of the denominations listed below. While individual congregations within denominations may vary greatly and may not all agree with CBE’s Core Values, these groups are known to give women access to leadership positions. They include:
- American Baptist
- The Anglican Communion
- Assemblies of God
- Church of the Brethren
- Church of the Foursquare
- Church of the Nazarene
- Cooperative Baptist Fellowship
- Christian Reformed Church
- Disciples of Christ
- ECO: A Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians
- Episcopal Church in the USA
- Evangelical Covenant
- Evangelical Lutheran Churches of America (ELCA)
- Free Methodists
- Grace Communion International
- Mennonite Church of the USA
- The Presbyterian Church USA (PCUSA)
- The Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC)
- Reformed Church in America
- Salvation Army
- United Methodists
- Vineyard Fellowship
This study conducted by Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary also provides helpful information on various denominations’ stances.
Resources on Intro to Egalitarian Beliefs
How the New Testament Turned Marriage in the Ancient World on Its “Head”
Download a PDF Do husbands hold an innate leadership role over their wives? Are wives to (willingly and joyfully) submit to their husband’s authority? Those
Caregiving and Gender Equity in Interabled Relationships
Download a PDF I jokingly say to my husband that he needs to be more careful when he helps draw up the medicine for my
Women and Men Leading Together: Making it Work, in Ministry and at Home with Amy and Mac Smith
Amy and Mac Smith have been on staff with InterVarsity Christian Fellowship for twenty-five years. Amy is a regional ministry director for InterVarsity in the
Global Impact: Egalitarian Leadership in Christian Humanitarian Organizations with Dr. Beth Birmingham
In this episode, hosts Mimi and Kim interview Dr. Beth Birmingham who explores egalitarian leadership in Christian humanitarian organizations, discussing how their cultural, theological, and
Women and Men Leading Together: Mutual (and Reciprocal!) Partnership with Rev. Dr. Erin Moniz and Father Matthew Aughtry
In this episode, Layla and Rob sit down with Rev. Dr. Erin Moniz and Father Matthew Aughtry to learn about their unique ministry partnership. During
New Voices: The Gender of God with Dr. Amy Peeler
What are the implications of assigning the male gender to God? If God isn’t male, then why do we call God “Father”? Blake & Erin